Wondering if you should consider WordPress as the software for building your website?
Let me start with saying that it is indeed a good script for building a website. But let me also analyze whats good in it & what are the cons.
Since WordPress is a open source script & millions of developers working on improving it, testing it, building themes, building plugins.
- It is FREE
- Many minds working on it makes it well advanced
- Lots of new designs (themes), features (plugins) are available/released quite often (Both for free or at a nominal cost)
- Good quality of code compared to custom coding where you are not sure how good quality the code is.
- Source code is open. Vulnerability is high. WordPress sites are hacked more often than websites done with other scripts or custom codes
- Lots of updates to the script makes the maintenance a big affair. You need to keep a tab on latest updates to the software, apply updates (although it is just click & update), test it.
- You have to rely on unknown developers for design/features (Although there is a good rating system). The developer may suddenly stop supporting his theme/plugin. No one can do anything.
- First list down what you expect out of your website.
- Are there popular plugins available for the features you want?
- Is there a close design available to match your expectation
- Do you have good knowledge of WordPress or do you know someone who has the knowledge?
- Do you have the team/budget if you want to go for custom code
- Do you have a reliable team to do good code?
- Can you depend on the team doing custom coding in long run?
The answers to theme questions can give you a close answer on what approach you should take.